The walls appear to be closing in on John Bolton as he may now be facing prison time for endangering national security.
The investigation into Bolton has become significantly more troubling after the FBI uncovered a trove of damning evidence at his home.
Bolton has not been indicted, but top FBI officials say he should face charges for stealing classified information during his brief, tumultuous tenure as national security adviser during Trump’s first term, the New York Post reported.
According to sources who spoke with the Post, the FBI raid of Bolton’s home and office uncovered “a lot” of evidence.
The report reveals that prosecutors could use the evidence to file serious charges in a case against Bolton.
Members of Trump’s Department of Justice (DOJ) believe the investigation had gone quiet during the Biden administration.
DOJ officials believe the Biden admin may have shut down the probe, possibly as a favor to Bolton, a vocal critic of Trump.
“The [Biden administration] had probable cause to know that he had taken material that was detrimental to the national security of the United States, and they made no effort to retrieve it,” a senior FBI official told The Post.
Bolton’s preferential treatment would have come even as the Biden Justice Department tried to prosecute Trump for his handling of classified information.
Notably, the Biden FBI even raided Trump’s Mar-A-Lago home in Florida.
The current investigation into Bolton is separate, however.
Insiders say it is wider and more serious than a previous criminal probe into Bolton’s tell-all book.
The book contained classified information gathered from his time in the Trump White House.
Bolton, who was fired by Trump in 2019, published the anti-Trump tome despite a judge finding it likely “jeopardized national security.”
Trump’s critics have accused him of targeting Bolton for revenge, something the president and his team have denied.
The New York Times, hardly a Trump-friendly newspaper, conceded in a new article that the FBI investigation appears to have a credible basis.
The probe centers on emails, intercepted by U.S. intelligence, which had been obtained by a foreign spy service, the newspaper noted.
The emails were apparently sent by Bolton to people close to him using an unclassified server.
Two different judges signed off on search warrants targeting Bolton, which would have required probable cause of a crime.
“One major reason for conducting the searches was to see if Mr. Bolton possessed material that matched or corroborated the intelligence agency material, which, if found, would indicate that the emails found in the possession of the foreign spy service were genuine,” the Times wrote.
After the raid last Friday morning, Trump questioned Bolton’s loyalty to the country.
“He’s not a smart guy, but he could be a very unpatriotic guy,” Trump said.
“We’re going to find out.”
READ MORE – DOJ Releases Entire Transcript of Ghislaine Maxwell Interview on Epstein – READ NOW
Our comment section is restricted to members of the Slay News community only.
To join, create a free account HERE.
If you are already a member, log in HERE.