Alec Baldwin and Rust Productions have reached a settlement with the family of slain cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
Baldwin and the team behind his movie “Rust” were hit with a lawsuit for the wrongful death of Hutchins.
The cinematographer was shot dead by Baldwin on the set of the movie that they were working on together.
“We are pleased to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins,” Baldwin said.
“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son.
“We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”
Joel Souza, the director of “Rust” who was also shot by Baldwin, said: “Those of us who were lucky enough to have spent time with Halyna knew her to be exceedingly talented, kind, creative, and a source of incredible positive energy.
“I only wish the world had gotten to know her under different circumstances, as it surely would have through her amazing work.
“In my own attempts to heal, any decision to return to finish directing the film could only make sense for me if it was done with the involvement of Matt and the Hutchins family.
“Though certainly bittersweet, I am pleased that together, we will now complete what Halyna and I started.
“My every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring Halyna’s legacy and making her proud.
“It is a privilege to see this through on her behalf.”
Matthew Hutchins said:
“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC.
“As part of that settlement, our case will be dismissed.
“The filming of Rust, which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board in January 2023.
“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin).
“All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident.
“I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”
The Hutchins’ original lawsuit read “Defendant Baldwin, the Producers, and the Rust Production Companies were aware of firearms safety issues that had occurred on the set of Rust and did not take action to correct the situation and ensure that basic gun safety rules were followed on October 21, 2021.
“Had Defendant Baldwin, the Producers, and the Rust Production Companies taken adequate precautions to ensure firearm safety on the set of Rust or if basic firearm safety rules had been followed on the set of Rust on October 21, 2021, Halyna Hutchins would be alive and well, hugging her husband and nine-year-old son,” the lawsuit said.
— Daily Mail Celebrity (@DailyMailCeleb) October 5, 2022
Despite settling the civil lawsuit, Baldwin could still be facing criminal charges for the fatal shooting.
As Slay News reported, prosecutors have indicated that Baldwin may be charged over the shooting death of Hutchins.
Last month, New Mexico granted an emergency request by First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies to approve funds for the prosection’s case.
The DA’s office has been investigating last year’s fatal film-set shooting of Hutchins by Baldwin.
The state Board of Finance approved more than $317,000 to cover the cost of investigation and prosecution.
As many as four people could face charges, according to a copy of the request.
Carmack-Altwies did not say anyone definitely would be charged but she did say:
“One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin.”