Celebrated American soccer journalist Grant Wahl has died suddenly after collapsing while covering the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Wahl was just 48 years old when he died on Friday.
He reportedly collapsed while covering Friday’s quarterfinal game between Argentina and Netherlands.
Paramedics performed CPR on Wahl for several minutes at the scene.
He was then rushed to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Wahl’s brother, Eric, announced his death on Instagram and expressed suspicion about his unexpected passing.
Eric argues that his brother “was healthy” and that he does “not believe” that he would “just die.”
He even suggested there may have been foul play and made an emotional plea for help.
“I am gay,” Eric Wahl said in a video message on Instagram.
“I am the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the World Cup.
“My brother was healthy,” he asserted.
“He told me he received death threats.
“I do not believe my brother just died.
“I believe he was killed, and I’m just begging for any help.”
Eric Wahl, the brother of sportswriter Grant Wahl who died in Qatar while covering the World Cup, is asking for help.
Grant was detained in Qatar for wearing a rainbow shirt two weeks ago pic.twitter.com/lak0b1UZwa
— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) December 10, 2022
Eric Wahl referenced an incident Grant Wahl faced two weeks ago.
Grant Wahl tried entering the stadium for the US-Wales match while wearing a rainbow pride shirt and was stopped by security.
Just now: Security guard refusing to let me into the stadium for USA-Wales. “You have to change your shirt. It’s not allowed.” pic.twitter.com/TvSGThMYq8
— Subscribe to GrantWahl.com (@GrantWahl) November 21, 2022
“They demanded I take the shirt off. I refused,” Wahl told MSNBC late last month.
“They then, right after I got a tweet off, forcibly took my cell phone and kept it for 30 minutes.
“I repeatedly kept asking to get it back. They wouldn’t give it to me.
“They made me stand in front of a CCTV camera presumably with someone on the other end of it rendering some sort of judgment, and I told them this was not good for them to be doing this.
“Eventually, the security commander came and allowed me to go in and keep my shirt on and it went from there.
“They apologized, FIFA apologized and, you know, it left me wondering about what it’s like for Qataris who are here outside of World Cups who are gay because this was something that I had to deal with at an event that was being covered globally.”
In his final post on his Substack newsletter “Fútbol,” Wahl wrote a scathing piece about Qatari officials in charge of the World Cup, telling his readers, “They just don’t care.”
“The Supreme Committee in charge of Qatar’s World Cup doesn’t care that a Filipino migrant worker died at Saudi Arabia’s training resort during the group stage,” Wahl wrote Thursday.
“He suffered a fatal blow to the head during a fall in a forklift accident (information that was kept under wraps until being broken by The Athletic’s Adam Crafton).
“We know the Qatari Supreme Committee doesn’t care because its CEO, Nasser Al-Khater, told you all you needed to hear in an interview with the BBC that was breathtaking in its crassness.”
Wahl quoted Al-Khater, who told BBC, “We’re in the middle of a World Cup, and we have a successful World Cup.
“And this is something that you want to talk about right now?…
“I mean, death is a natural part of life, whether it’s at work, whether it’s in your sleep. Of course, a worker died.
“Our condolences go to his family.
“However, it’s strange that this is something that you wanted to focus on as your first question.”
On Thursday, Wahl spoke about feeling under the weather throughout the week, saying he had bronchitis.
“My body, I think, told me, even after the U.S. went out, ‘Dude, you are not sleeping enough.’ It rebelled on me,” Wahl said.
“So I’ve had a case of bronchitis this week.
“I’ve been to the medical clinic at the media center twice now, including today.
“I’m feeling better today.
“I basically canceled everything on this Thursday that I had and napped, and I’m doing slightly better.
“You can probably tell in my voice that I’m not 100% here.”
This is Grant Wahl on his podcast yesterday. pic.twitter.com/LN0gxbQZkr
— Kyle Koster (parody impersonation) (@KyleKoster) December 10, 2022
U.S. Soccer released a statement saying “the entire U.S. Soccer family is heartbroken.”
“Fans of soccer and journalism of the highest quality know we could always count on Grant to deliver insightful and entertaining stories about our game, and its major protagonists: teams, players, coaches, and the many personalities that make soccer unlike any sport,” U.S. Soccer said.
“Grant made soccer his life’s work, and we are devastated that he and his brilliant writing will no longer be with us.”
Wahl began his journalism career as an intern for The Miami Herald and worked at Sports Illustrated from 1996-2020.
Last year, Wahl launched his “Fútbol” newsletter.
He also worked for FOX Sports and CBS Sports during his career.
He leaves behind his wife, Dr. Céline Gounder.
“I am so thankful for the support of my husband @GrantWahl ‘s soccer family & of so many friends who’ve reached out tonight,” Gounder tweeted.
“I’m in complete shock.”