Joe Biden’s Department of Justice (DOJ) has reportedly broken its silence after raiding President Donald Trump’s Florida home on Monday.
Left-wing outlet Newsweek is reporting what went on behind the scenes during the FBI raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago and has claimed that it is keystone cop-level incompetence.
If the information is to be believed, Newsweek claims the raid was just a dispute about classified material the FBI thinks Trump should not have.
According to Newsweek sources, the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago when Trump was gone because they wanted to avoid media attention.
The outrage over the raid reportedly caused a Justice Department official to remark: “What a spectacular backfire.”
Newsweek spoke to two government officials on the condition of anonymity, a senior intelligence official and a DOJ official.
“I know that there is much speculation out there that this is political persecution, but it is really the best and the worst of the bureaucracy in action,” the official said.
“They wanted to punctuate the fact that this was a routine law enforcement action, stripped of any political overtones, and yet they got exactly the opposite.”
“They were seeking to avoid any media circus,” said a second source, a senior intelligence official who was briefed on the operation.
“So even though everything made sense bureaucratically and the FBI feared that the documents might be destroyed, they also created the very firestorm they sought to avoid, in ignoring the fallout.”
“In order for the investigators to convince the Florida judge to approve such an unprecedented raid, the information had to be solid, which the FBI claimed.”
The DOJ official reportedly confirmed that Attorney General Merrick Garland was aware of the investigation and planned raid of Trump’s Palm Beach residence.
However, the source claims the AG did not know the time or date of the raid.
“I know it’s hard for people to believe but this was a matter for the U.S. Attorney and the FBI,” said the official.
“It really is a case of the Bureau misreading the impact.”
Newsweek also says a Grand Jury was presented evidence that Trump had documents he shouldn’t and concluded there was a violation of the law.
According to Newsweek:
In late April, the source says, a federal grand jury began deliberating whether there was a violation of the Presidential Records Act or whether President Trump unlawfully possessed national security information.
Through the grand jury process, the National Archives provided federal prosecutors with copies of the documents received from former President Trump in January 2022.
The grand jury concluded that there had been a violation of the law, according to the Justice Department source.
In the past week, the prosecutor in the case and local Assistant U.S. Attorney went to Florida magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart in West Palm Beach to seek approval for the search of Donald Trump’s private residence.
The affidavit to obtain the search warrant, the intelligence source says, contained abundant and persuasive detail that Trump continued to possess the relevant records in violation of federal law, and that investigators had sufficient information to prove that those records were located at Mar-a-Lago—including the detail that they were contained in a specific safe in a specific room.