Elon Musk is planning to publish Twitter internal discussions regarding the company’s decision to block the Hunter Biden laptop story in the run-up to the 2020 election.
Musk says he will publish the messages between Twitter executives, from before he took over the company in October 2022, because it “is necessary to restore public trust.”
By releasing the internal discussions about censoring the New York Post’s Hunter Biden laptop story, the political motivation behind the move may finally be exposed.
In the final weeks before the election, Twitter locked The New York Post’s account in October 2020 for posting a now-confirmed report of emails contained on Biden’s laptop.
The emails detail a meeting between him and his father, now-President Joe Biden with an executive of Ukrainian gas company Burisma in 2015.
According to a Senate report, the laptop contained caches of emails detailing business dealings with Burisma and state-owned CEFC China Energy Co.
As part of the deals, Hunter Biden’s firms received $4.8 million in wire transfer payments from its founder, Ye Jianming.
The emails also show discussions between Hunter and his business partners where they discuss giving Joe Biden, who they refer to as “the Big Guy,” a 10% cut of the deal, while he was vice president.
By the time voters cast their ballots for the presidential election, most Americans were completely unaware of the allegations against the Democrat candidate.
A Twitter user called on Musk to release these discussions “in the interest of transparency” in a Wednesday tweet.
Musk replied saying he agrees.
“Raise your hand if you think @ElonMusk should make public all internal discussions about the decision to censor the @NYPost’s story on Hunter Biden’s laptop before the 2020 Election in the interest of Transparency,” Twitter user ALX tweeted.
“This is necessary to restore public trust,” Musk replied.
This is necessary to restore public trust
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 24, 2022
The platform restricted any Twitter user from sharing links of the Post’s article either publicly or through direct messages.
Twitter further locked former White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s personal account and the official account for President Donald Trump’s campaign for sharing the link, just days out from the election.
The Times and the Post joined the chorus of corporate media outlets claiming the story was “Russian disinformation.”
CBS News verified the authenticity of the laptop Monday, nearly two years after the reports first emerged and were verified.
Musk, who took over Twitter on October 27, previously called Twitter’s censorship of the New York Post’s accurate reporting “incredibly inappropriate.”
Suspending the Twitter account of a major news organization for publishing a truthful story was obviously incredibly inappropriate
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 26, 2022
Former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey later issued an apology for censoring the accounts.
He argues that the company’s “communication” surrounding the article was insufficient.
“Our communication around our actions on the @nypost article was not great,” Dorsey said.
“And blocking URL sharing via tweet or DM with zero context as to why we’re blocking: unacceptable.”