A federal judge has rejected the request from Joe Biden’s Department of Justice (DOJ) to charge President Donald Trump with contempt over documents seized by the FBI from his Mar-a-Lago home in August.
According to multiple sources, the DOJ is pushing to hold Trump and his legal team in contempt in the continued legal struggle over the classified documents.
Judge Beryl Howell reportedly told DOJ officials to resolve the dispute with Trump’s lawyers themselves.
The DOJ sought the contempt of court ruling after it said the Trump legal team was not responding properly to a subpoena in May.
The subpoena was a request for documents with classified markings.
The subpoena was directed to Trump’s custodian of records.
However, it has not yet been established who that person is.
After the judge’s ruling, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung condemned the actions of the DOJ in a statement.
“The President and his counsel will continue to be transparent and cooperative, even in the face of the highly weaponized and corrupt witch-hunt from the Department of ‘Justice,'” said Cheung.
“If the Department of ‘Justice’ can go after President Trump, they will surely come after any American who they disagree with,” Cheung continued.
“President Trump is the only one who stands in the way of the un-American weaponization of law enforcement.”
The ruling was made behind closed doors in a U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.
MSNBC reporter Ken Dilanian said the ruling appeared to imply that the Department of Justice had so far been unable to link Trump personally to the classified documents for an indictment.
The Department of Justice had no comment on the matter.
On Thursday, the Trump legal team was dealt a blow when his effort to have a special master appointed to oversee the classified documents ended.
Trump had initially won that request, which paused the DOJ investigation, but a later panel of judges overturned the order and allowed the probe to continue.