Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has followed through on his plan to hold Democrat President Joe Biden to account for the problems at our Southern Border.
Abbott warned the White House he would send migrants by bus to Washington D.C. if Biden didn’t act.
As promised, the governor has sent the first bus to the nation’s capital to give the rural Texas communities that have been dealing with the brunt of the crisis a break.
The White House called Abbott’s plan a publicity stunt but the first bus showed up today.
First Texas bus drops off illegal immigrants blocks from US Capitol in Washington, DC.
Biden refuses to come see the mess he’s made at the border.
So Texas is bringing the border to him.https://t.co/wHZkwnD305
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) April 13, 2022
According to Fox News, “many of the communities that originally reached out for support – from the Rio Grande Valley to Terrell County – say the federal government stopped dropping immigrants in their towns since Abbott’s announcement on April 6.”
Abbott said last week he would tell the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) to transport migrants released from federal custody in Texas to DC.
Texas Governor @GregAbbott_TX carries out his pledge to transport illegal migrants to Washington, DC. The bus pulled up right in front of the building that houses @FoxNews , @NBCNews and @cspan pic.twitter.com/KsrP04LSuw
— John Roberts (@johnrobertsFox) April 13, 2022
Abbott issued a statement that said:
Governor Greg Abbott today discussed the state’s ongoing border security efforts and how Texas is working with local law enforcement to mitigate the Biden administration’s ongoing border crisis at the Texas Border Sheriffs Coalition Spring Meeting in El Paso.
During remarks, the Governor thanked law enforcement for their steadfast partnership in mitigating the influx of dangerous criminals, lethal drugs, and illegal contraband into communities across Texas as a result of the federal government’s refusal to secure the border. The Governor also reaffirmed the State of Texas’ support for all law enforcement across the state.
“Texans demand and deserve an aggressive, comprehensive strategy to secure our border—not President Biden’s lackluster leadership,” said Governor Abbott.
“As the federal government continues to roll back commonsense policies that once kept our communities safe, our local law enforcement has stepped up to protect Texans from dangerous criminals, deadly drugs, and illegal contraband flooding into the Lone Star State.
“Texas will always be a law-and-order state, and I thank our law enforcement officers who have answered the call to protect and serve their fellow Texans in the federal government’s absence in securing our border.”
Governor Abbott has taken significant action to secure the border in the wake of the federal government’s inaction. Those actions include:
- Signing laws that provide $3 billion in funding for Texas’ border security efforts
- Launching Operation Lone Star and deploying thousands of National Guard soldiers and Texas Department of Public Safety troopers
- Arresting and jailing illegal migrants trespassing or committing other state crimes in Texas
- Allocated resources that include recently acquired 1,700 steel panels to building the border wall in Texas
- Signing a law to make it easier to prosecute smugglers bringing people into Texas
- Signing 15 laws cracking down on human trafficking in Texas
- Signing a law enhancing penalties for the manufacturing and distribution of fentanyl
- Issuing a disaster declaration for the border crisis
- Issuing an executive order preventing non-governmental entities from transporting illegal immigrants
- Taking legal action to enforce the Remain in Mexico in Texas
- Taking aggressive action to secure the border as President Biden ends Title 42 expulsions, including enhancing vehicle inspections, busing unlawful migrants to Washington, D.C., and creating boat blockades along the Rio Grande River