Jimmy Carter’s family has given a heartbreaking update on the former president’s health.
The Carter family said he will spend his “remaining time” at home receiving hospice care instead of continuing to receive “medical intervention.”
The statement says: “After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention.
“He has the full support of his family and his medical team.
“The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.”
— The Carter Center (@CarterCenter) February 18, 2023
The move follows a series of brief hospital stays for the 98-year-old, the Carter Centre said in a statement.
In recent years, Carter suffered from several health issues including a melanoma that spread to his liver and brain.
Carter, a Democrat, served a single term and was defeated by Republican Ronald Reagan in 1980.
After his term in office, Carter largely receded from electoral politics.
Instead, he opened The Carter Centre with his wife and former first lady, Rosalynn, 95, which last year marked its 40th year.
In a tweet posted on Saturday, James Carter said that he recently saw both of his grandparents, writing: “They are at peace and – as always – their home is full of love.”
In 2015, having had a mass removed from his liver, Jimmy Carter said: “I’m perfectly at ease with whatever comes.
“I’ve had an exciting, adventurous, and gratifying existence.”