A Democrat Chicago alderman has decried the city’s crime wave, warning that public safety has become “a joke.”
On Monday night, George Cardenas, a liberal Alderman of Chicago’s 12th Ward, even questioned the usefulness of calling the police.
In February 2021, he was appointed as deputy floor leader in Chicago’s City Council by Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
However, he now appears to have reached his limit, despite his loyalties to Lightfoot.
“Public safety in Chicago is a joke,” George Cardenas wrote on Twitter while lambasting the Democrat-controlled city’s uptick in violent crime.
“Why bother calling [the] Police.”
Public safety in Chicago is a joke. Why bother calling Police. https://t.co/C3pIXF21VE
— George Cardenas (@aldcardenas) September 13, 2022
The alderman was responding to an article about a recent brazen daylight mugging attack as crime continues to soar out of control under Mayor Lightfoot’s leadership.
The crime was caught on video and show a man being robbed at gunpoint in Chicago.
Ryan King, 30, was returning home from the gym around 11 a.m. when he pulled into the alley to access his garage.
A dark-colored car pulled up and three people got out with one holding a gun.
“He held a gun up to my head,” King said.
“He showed it to my face and then he went beside me and he said, ‘I’m going to kill you unless you give us your wallet.’”
King is a National Guardsmen stationed in Terre Haute, Indiana.
He was in Chicago visiting family.
But that is not the full story of Lightfoot’s failure.
Minutes after the robbery, cops saw the thugs in their getaway car but were told not to chase them by a CPD supervisor.
According to CWB:
“Minutes, after the footage was recorded, Chicago police officers spotted the robbers in their getaway car nearby, but a CPD supervisor ordered the cops to stop following the vehicle.
“Since then, at least 16 more robberies have been reported in waves of crime on Sunday and Monday mornings across Wicker Park, West Town, and the West Loop.
“Chicago police have said they believe at least two armed robbery teams are actively working the area.”
Detectives have publicly linked robberies on the following dates and times to the same group:
- 1300 block of North Parkside Ave on August 22 at 1:40 p.m.
- 4700 block of West Le Moyne Ave on August 22 at 1:46 p.m.
- 2000 block of North Campbell Ave on September 4 at 8:10 p.m.
- 5900 block of North Central Park Ave on September 4 at 8:40 p.m.
- 2000 block of West Potomac Ave on September 4 at 9:05 p.m.
- 2800 block of North Maplewood Ave on September 5 at 11:30 p.m.
- 2800 block of North Campbell Ave on September 5 at 11:34 p.m.
- 1900 block of North Spaulding Ave on September 5 at 11:50 p.m.
- 1700 block of West Ellen St on September 6 at 6:58 p.m.
- 1200 block of North Wood St on September 6 at 7:01 p.m.
— Justin Laurence (@jus10chi) September 13, 2022