Hollywood actor Will Smith’s career has just taken a severe hit as two of his upcoming movies have been put on hold amid the fallout from the Oscars scandal.
As Slay News previously reported, Smith resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to try to stop the bleeding.
However, the gesture may not be enough as the Hollywood Reporter claims that two of his new movies have now been put on hold.
According to the report, Smith’s new project with Netflix, “Fast and Loose,” won’t be going into production anytime soon and has been put on the back burner.
The project recently lost its director and Netflix was furiously looking for a new one when Smith hit comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars.
According to The Hollywood Reporter:
Fast and Loose was to tell the story of a crime boss who loses his memory after an attack.
Piecing together clues, he discovers that he has led a double identity as a wealthy kingpin and a broke CIA agent.
It appears that Netflix was understandably wary of moving forward. It is unclear whether it will try to make the project with another star and director.
The Daily Mail reports that Smith had another project, “Bad Boys 4” for Sony, which has also been put on hold:
After Smith shocked audiences at home and in Hollywood when he slapped Rock, Netflix opted to put his film on hold, the source told THR.
Smith had also been developing Bad Boys 4 for Sony, but a source told THR that the project was also on hold for the time being.
The star had already been sent 40 pages of the screenplay as Sony was eager to capitalize on the success of Bad Boys for Life, which grossed $204 million in box offices during 2020.
Will Smith resigned from the Academy with a letter that said:
“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct.
“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.
“The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home.
“I betrayed the trust of the Academy.
“I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work.
“I am heartbroken.
“I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.
“ So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.
“Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason,” he said.
David Rubin, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said in a statement:
“We have received and accepted Mr. Will Smith’s immediate resignation from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
“We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”