The United States military has deployed a nuclear submarine to the Middle East as tensions continue to mount amid the Israel-Hamas conflict.
The Ohio-class submarine has been deployed as a show of deterrence against further escalation.
The move comes as the Israel-Hamas war nears the one-month mark.
In a statement Sunday, the U.S. Central Command provided no additional details about the deployment.
However, it posted an image that appeared to show an Ohio-class submarine in Egypt’s Suez Canal near its Suez Canal Bridge.
The U.S. is intending to send an unmistakable message to its enemies.
Officials acknowledging the use of these submarines or sharing information about their location is very rare.
The submarines represent part of America’s so-called “nuclear triad” of atomic weapons.
The triad also includes land-based ballistic missiles and nuclear bombs aboard strategic bombers.
Ohio-class submarines can carry nuclear ballistic missiles as well as cruise missiles.
However, it is not immediately clear if the submarine now operating near Israel is carrying nuclear ballistic missiles.
The U.S. continues to bolster forces in the Mediterranean Sea and in the surrounding region as tensions remain high with Iran.
Iran financially and militarily supports the Islamic terrorist groups Hamas and Hezbollah.
Both terror groups currently attacking Israel.
Separately, Central Command shared an image of a nuclear-capable B-1 bomber also operating in the Mideast.
The U.S. has deployed or redirected more than 17,350 military personnel to the region since the Oct. 7 attacks.
This includes those in carrier strike groups, troops deployed, and the Bataan amphibious ready group.
The U.S. has also sent F-35s, F-15s, F-16s, A-10s, and F-18s to the Middle East.
The heavy military presence comes as U.S. military personnel and coalition forces in the region have been attacked dozens of times amid the ongoing fighting in Israel and Gaza.
Last week, the Pentagon confirmed that U.S. and Coalition Forces at Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) installations in Iraq and Syria have been attacked at least 28 times since October 17.
Of these attacks, 16 happened in Iraq and 12 took place in Syria.
They included a mix of one-way attack drones and rockets.
Last month, Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that the U.S. expects Iranian proxies to seek opportunities to escalate the Israel-Hamas war.
The senior Biden administration officials also asserted that the White House is prepared to respond accordingly if American civilians or armed forces became targets.
“This is not what we want, not what we’re looking for,” Blinken said on October 22.
“We don’t want escalation.
“We don’t want to see our forces or our personnel come under fire. But if that happens, we’re ready for it.”
Austin added: “What we’re seeing is a prospect of a significant escalation of attacks on our troops and our people throughout the region.
“We’re going to do what’s necessary to make sure that our troops are in that position and they were protected and that we have the ability to respond.”
He affirmed that the U.S. has the right to defend itself.
“We won’t hesitate to take the appropriate action,” he added.
On Monday, November 6, Austin spoke with Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant and reiterated America’s ironclad commitment to Israel’s right to defend itself.
According to the U.S. Department of Defense, he also reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this conflict.
Austin reportedly emphasized the importance of both protecting civilians and delivering humanitarian assistance.